December 7, 2012

Newbie


I've rarely been the new kid at school, as I've been home schooling since I was in middle school and started going to college when I turned sixteen. In college, there inst really such thing as a new kid. But then there's church.
The new kid is always identified.
The designated newbie greeter automatically comes up to them and asks for the general questions.
How did you hear about us?
What's your name?
How old are you?
Then the designated greeter introduces you into a group that will take you in under their wing and spend time with you on your first visit to the church. Sometimes you're remembered, or sometimes you're not. You might come back the next week and get the same treatment because they couldn't keep track of all the people.
I'm not bashing what churches do to greet newcomers. Not at all. I think it's a great way to get people into church rather them just coming and leaving with no one talking to them.
It's just I've been to so many new churches more than I can count. I've seen the newcomer procedures done too many times the answers almost come automatically out of my mouth as if they are programmed. Church has always been a struggle for my family.
We haven't always been accepted in for our background or our crazy genes. Some people look at us with wonder when we tell our story, as if they have never experienced anything like that before. It's like they don't really know what to do with us.
I think we may be more for them we can handle. My family, we are Christians, but I would say we are not like normal Christians that non-Christians perceive about us. Some people have a mind-set that Christians judge everyone for their sins and are arms lengths away. I totally get that because people have experienced that from Christians. But Christians weren't supposed to be like that. Why should we judge when we have our own sins? Why should we not be accepting towards others when God accepted us and forgave us?
We are given a grand opportunity to show God's love. To the poor, the starving  the sinners, even our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who are sinners just like everyone else.
No one will be perfect, so why do we push them away then embrace them with God's love?
Someone may look crazy.
Act crazy.
Think crazy then the general population.
Think about it though, if they are doing it in the name of Christ with passion and perseverance, then don't you think God is going to honor it? Even if they appear a little different than the rest.
No one knows someone's heart more then God.
God is going to tell them something more different than God will tell you personally.
My family doesn't do life the normal way. We don't store up for earthly treasures, we live out the hands and feet of Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment