January 25, 2016

The Land Bound Flight Attendant


 It is day 4 of 5 since being in my hotel room in Montreal, Quebec. After first it was only a three day trip, but than turned into 4, than 5 as storm Jonas ripped through the east coast. As I scrolled my Facebook to kill time, I saw that my other flight attendant friends were in the same predicament as I. They were all land bound.
  Most of my crew grumbled about the layover, but I was excited. It was mt first time in Montreal, so I was going to use the opportunity to explore. So that's what I did. 
  I took the 747 bus from the airport to downtown Montreal. I explored Peel St, a shopping district where hundreds of shops were all located underground so that you would not have to be exposed to the harsh winter air. I explored intricate Cathedrals and got to hear a grand piano echoing off the church's 200 year old walls












   Then I went over to Chinatown, where the streets bustled despite the -10 degree weather. My mouth watered at the sight of the decorated pastries that popped with color and appeal. My fingers warmed around a bowl of sumo ramen, which I was told the owner made from complete scratch.


  Merely walking down the streets gave me exposure to the architecture and diversity of the city. Conversations in French floated past my ears and almost everything was in written in French. Made me wish I knew more, but I was still well received whether I knew it or not. 
  I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit Montreal. Any other layover, I doubt I would have had the time to explore the city like I was given now. 
  Oh, it can be boring sitting in a hotel room for days on end, but I also have to remind myself that I am sitting in a hotel room. There is a comfy bed, heated air and breakfast offered to me every morning. That is more than what some people get in their entire lifetime. Even in New Jersey, people are having to leave their homes and power outages are leaving them in the cold. 
  I would say the storm is affecting me, but really it's not. I am not outside shoveling layers of snow or worrying my home is going to be destroyed. I am not one of the 31 people who have died because of storm Jonas.
  I understand not every person was given the opportunity like I did. I know some are bound to their houses or rooms because of the storm or do not have the opportunity to venture out like I did. The frustration is understandable, but I ask that we all put it in perspective. 

  Think positive and stay safe! 
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment