January 24, 2013

Where I'm From

In my Creative Writing class, at school, my teacher assigned that we write our own version of the poem "Where I'm From' by George Ella Lyon. Sitting there at my desk, thinking of the words to write, made me remember things from my past. The memories I cherish even now as I'm turning into an adult. The things that have stuck in my head my entire life.
Here is my version.

Where I'm From

I am from mud pies and homemade tree houses
I am from gas station Doritos runs
I am from warm essential oils,
Rosemary, lavender, thieves.
From globs of paint and various brushes
I am from airplane peanuts,
Moving boxes and clear tape.
I am from notebooks and pens, 
From over read stories. 
I am from camera's flashes.

From long rides home. 
I am from crosses and scripture,
From unlearned verses.
I am from foreign accents and morning breakfast tea.
I am from burning fire, 
Molded by clay hands.
From pianos and motherly hugs that secure.
I am from corny jokes you can not help but hear,
From Georgia's forest and summer-time sodas.
I am from words and thoughts that hope to captivate. 

By: Pepper Hales
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! In my creative writing class about 3 years ago, I wrote a poem just like this.
    Yours is so honest and lovely. Your personality shines through.
    Here's the link if you'd like to read mine :)

    http://inpursuitofradiance.blogspot.com/2011/12/i-am-from-pigtails-and-climbing-trees.html

    ---->> Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete