August 9, 2013

A Day in the Life: Machado

My final project for my photography class last semester. This is the artist statement I included with my project: 


Machado is a bust that sits on top of my family’s piano in the living room. We originally got him at a yard sale and the previous owners of Machado told us a little bit about him. They said he was their uncle and a famous doctor in Brazil that helped to bring medical rights to the poor. He was hand made by a famous artist. Since we bought him we've moved several times, but he’s stayed with us. For my final project, I wanted to do a self portrait of Machado. He has an interesting, kind face and people who see him are fond of him. He seems part of the family. For being a bust, he seems to have so much personality as if he was a real person. I wanted to capture some silly and realistic features of Machado so I decided to take him along with me to the places I go most to. We went to the school, the library, the light rail, the grocery store, the laundry mat and more, capturing Machado as if he was an actual living person. He did all the tasks a human would do if he had the arms, legs and well, a full body. I was inspired by the Travelocity gnome that is always captured in various places, making people smile by his innocent looks. I thought Machado would be a new twist on it being that he weighs 20 pounds and is a bust. As I took pictures, it seemed his facial expression would even change with the different settings of the pictures. Sometimes he would be more smiley than others and then he would be serious, gazing out and pondering. It was quite interesting to see how the backgrounds changed the perspective. Overall, it was an interesting experience.

These are the pictures I submitted: 


















































The End.
Hoped you enjoyed!

5 comments:

  1. Okay, you are a hoot. More than one of these totally cracked me up! I love the one of him with the shower cap, it's so unexpected! hahaha. I hope you got a good grade! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Yes, my teacher and class thought it was hilarious! :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! These are hilarious! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was my first non-serious photo assignment that I made goofy!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE these! I don't know which one is my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete